From a strictly useful and functional room to one that is similar to a spa, over the past decades, the bathroom has evolved. And only because there are not thousands of dollars out there for decorating doesn’t mean a bathroom can’t be unique, striking and thoroughly satisfying. Here are nine frugal methods to liven up a bathroom:
1. Collections of cheap mirrors add both light and space to any bathroom. They signify colors, faces and other decorations and add character and interest. Mirrors are a lot more effective when grouped together instead of being a scattered mass simply hanging on a wall.
2. For maximum impact, hang them closely together rather than seperately. Pictures can be striking if they have a ‘motif’, for example:
– Black and white photos – no color
– Older shots – in the 1930s or 1940s, for instance
– The frames are an identical color
– The frames or photos have a uniqueness in common – oval shapes, women only, pets
This decorating strategy works great in a powder room, instead of a complete bathroom due to the high moisture.
3. Needlework makes a striking wall accent. As an example, sampler patterns from colonial America are easily available and a few samplers piled on a wall produce a totally unique toilet.
4. In a dull or drab toilet, a rag rug or oriental carpet will add charm and attractiveness. Just be sure to utilize a non-skid mat beneath, particularly if anybody will be stepping out of a bathtub or shower.
5. Collections can ignite interest and admiration. Pottery is an odd accent piece for any toilet. Or maybe you consider old bottles, perfume atomizers, shaving mugs or alternative flea market collectibles. One especially exciting toilet included replicas of old bottles with real antique stoppers made from silver and built into old-time designs.
In a bathroom, make sure there’s ample space for your collectibles, like a broad shelf using a lip or a generous window. Broken pottery or glass isn’t beneficial in any room – but it’s especially destructive in a toilet.
6. Obviously, color is the quickest, cheapest way to alter any toilet. Unusual colors on a bathroom wall, like melon, chocolate brown or peach, will include drama. Accents like brightly colored towels at a monochromatic bathroom will provide an outstanding accent.
7. Architectural details can ignite interest. A piece of beaded or crown molding halfway up the wall or near the ceiling can transform a room, particularly if it’s painted a funky shade. Even a shelf or picture rail adds interest.
8. Add living color with plants or cut flowers. The energy of plants is calming and creates a zen-like atmosphere that is extremely conducive to relaxation and letting go of stress.
9. A piece of furniture, space permitting, can add unusual detail into any toilet. Furniture need not be costly. Many Goodwill or Salvation Army stores will have a battered piece of furniture which can be revived with sanding, paint and a few unusual and classy handles or knobs.
All nine of those ideas won’t nor should fit every bathroom. Just choose one or two, as your budget allows, and begin slowly adding details. And don’t forget the ‘before and after’ pictures!